Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Niger archbishop: ‘Church will rebuild after Charlie Hebdo riots’

Niger archbishop: ‘Church will rebuild after Charlie Hebdo riots’

 http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2015/01/27/niger-archbishop-church-will-rebuild-after-charlie-hebdo-riots/

Smoke billows from a truck during a protest  against Niger President Mahamadou Issoufou's attendance at the Paris rally for Charlie Hebdo (CNS)
'We're still trying to understand the savagery which erupted here,' says Archbishop Michel Cartateguy
An archbishop in Niger said the Church would rebuild after rioters destroyed its places of worship during protests over cartoons mocking depictions of Muhammad by the French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo.

“We’re still trying to understand the savagery which erupted here — but it’s certain it was well thought-out, prepared and organised,” said Archbishop Michel Cartateguy of Niamey, Niger. He also cited bravery of local Muslims who sheltered Christians from the violence and imams who spoke against it.
“We now have to reconstruct hearts and minds deeply scarred by these events and renew the friendly ties we always had with the Muslim community,” he told Catholic News Service.

Archbishop Cartateguy said he believed publication of the cartoons in Paris had only served as a pretext for the riots, in which Catholic schools, orphanages and shops were burned in Niamey, Maradi and Zinder. He said members of Boko Haram, a Muslim militant group operating from neighbouring Nigeria, had “certainly helped direct” the anti-Christian violence, which involved children as young as 10.

At least 10 people were killed, more than 200 injured and 45 Catholic and Protestant churches set ablaze during the January 16-17 riots. Local media said police had fought for four hours to save Niamey’s Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cathedral, but reported that six of the city’s eight Catholic parishes had been wrecked.

Some churches celebrated their first post-violence Masses the weekend of January 24-25. The archbishop said Church leaders hoped to reopen Catholic offices and schools in the capital by late January, adding that he had also met and prayed with local Muslim imams, who had all condemned the violence.
Men start reconstruction on a church in Niamey, in Niger, which was destroyed in the rioting (CNS)
Men start reconstruction on a church in Niamey, in Niger, which was destroyed in the rioting (CNS)
“They told me the prophet Muhammad protected Christians in his day and pledged to follow his example by helping Christians in danger now,” Archbishop Cartateguy said.

“We know some local Muslims, young included, showed courage and solidarity by sheltering Christians in their family homes. Some also stood in our church doorways saying the rioters would have to kill them as well.”

Niger’s 25,000 Catholics make up a small fraction of its mostly Muslim population of 18 million; Catholics include immigrants from other West African countries, including Benin, Togo and Ivory Coast.

French-born Archbishop Cartateguy’s Niger-born replacement, Archbishop Djalwana Laurent Lompo, was named in October. Archbishop Cartateguy said he had planned to retire and hand over the archdiocese to his 48-year-old successor, but Archbishop Lompo has not been installed because of the violence.

In a January 17 message to the nation, President Mahamadou Issoufou of Niger declared three days of mourning for victims of the violence and said the rioters had “understood nothing about Islam.” He, too, paid tribute to Muslims who helped shelter Christians and protect their places of worship.
Archbishop Cartateguy told CNS his diocese was sheltering around 100 lay Christians and clergy from Zinder, where there was “still great fear.”

On January 23, the Niger government announced a program to rebuild destroyed churches. Government officials also said they believed Boko Haram operatives were involved, particularly in Zinder.


Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Op-Ed: NY Times Lethal Anti-Israel Journalism Strikes Again



Op-Ed: NY Times Lethal Anti-Israel Journalism Strikes Again

by Phyllis Chesler
Israel National News
January 26, 2015

Be the first of your friends to like this.
Like the White House, the New York Times is potentially guilty of incitement to genocide and defamation; certainly, they are guilty of slanting the news about Israel in every way possible.
This time, the Paper of Propaganda, has published a 1250 word piece that takes up three columns on page A4 and another three columns on page A9—and it has four photos as well.

Even as the Muslim and Arab worlds are on fire; even as Syria has displaced three million refugees; even as Islamic Sunni terrorists have massacred other Muslims, and have tortured Yazidi women and girls; even as Muslim terrorists are massacring civilians in the West—Rudoren has chosen to feature, in a high profile way, the regrets of IDF soldiers who fought in the 1967 war of self-defense. Now, some claim they have been "censored" and that the "abuses" they committed have haunted them ever since.

Dr. Phyllis Chesler and Dr. Richard Landes

 Jewish Broadcasting Services
January 23, 2015 

Dr. Phyllis Chesler and Dr. Richard Landes
A Conversation about Anti-Semitism
Sponsored by EMET (Endowment for Middle East Truth).
December 2, 2014 
Related Topics:  Anti-Semitism, Israel, Media Bias

To subscribe to the Phyllis Chesler mailing list, go to http://www.phyllis-chesler.com/list_subscribe.php

SAVE THE DATE - IRAN TRUTH SQUAD BRIEFING (Jan 26, 2015)






MONDAY JANUARY 26, 2015


Save the date - LIVE Stream

Wednesday January 28 - 1:30p eastern



LIVE STREAMED ON BREITBART TV




LIVE STREAMED ON BREITBART TV

WED JAN 28 1:30p, eastern
 
(Washington, DC): President Obama, in his January 20th State of the Union address,
stated: "...for the first time in a decade, we’ve halted the progress of its nuclear program
and reduced its stockpile of nuclear material."  
   
Simply put, this assertion is false.  Iran continues to pursue its nuclear program unabated,
constituting a paramount national security threat to the United States and its allies.  
The Center for Security Policy will hold a panel discussion on the true state of the Iranian threat,
and what Congress must do to prevent Tehran's realization of its nuclear ambitions.   
WHO:
Dr. Andrew Bostom, Author, Iran's Final Solution for Israel: The Legacy of Jihad
and Shi'ite Islamic Jew-Hatred in Iran
Clare Lopez, Vice President for Research and Analysis, Center for Security Policy;
former CIA operations officer
Fred Fleitz, Senior Fellow, Center for Security Policy; former Senior Professional Staff Member,
House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence; former Chief of Staff to then-
Undersecretary of State for Arms Control and International Security John Bolton; former CIA analyst
With remarks by:
Rep. Trent Franks (Arizona, 8th District) (invited), Member, House Armed Services Committee;
Chairman, House EMP Caucus

*** 

PLEASE DONATE AND HELP US
STAND WITH ISRAEL
All donations are tax deductible



PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL
 
JANUARY 26, 2015


















The Latest from National Terror Alert Response Center


The Latest from National Terror Alert Response Center

Link to Homeland Security News


Posted: 26 Jan 2015 07:26 AM PST
The U.S. Secret Service is investigating after a drone crashed on the White House grounds early Monday morning. The Secret Service locked down the White House shortly after 3 a.m. after an officer on the south grounds of the White House spotted the drone, described as a two-foot wide “quad copter,” flying above the White […]
This story comes to us via Homeland Security - National Terror Alert. National Terror Alert is America's trusted source for homeland security news and information.

Secret Service investigating small drone on White House grounds